Thursday, June 19, 2008

First Look at All Black Italian Vogue


Cathy Horyn of The New York Times has the first images of the star-studded all black Italian Vogue due out soon that I've been dying to see.

All I know is Franca Sozzani, Vogue IT's editor, is sheer genius. Not only did she cast an all black talent team, the production crew was predominantly black, too, from make-up maven Pat McGrath to stylist Edward Enniful. (Okay, so Steven Meisel who shot the spread is the odd man out here.) But where did Sozzani take her inspiration? From our own political landscape: the US Democratic primary, now presidential, race.

Isn't that just fantastic? I love it when fashion so clearly intersects with what's going on in the world because really that's what it should be about, at least for me. I'm also stoked to see what this will do for Sessilee Lopez (pictured next to Liya) who, I was shocked to learned, hardly worked last year. Let this be the shoot to launch a long and successful career for her.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I doubt that you watch the show--but plus sized Toccarra from America's Next Top Model is also rumored/confirmed to be featured in the magazine! Preeeettyy revolutionary.

Victorya Hong said...

No, I'm sorry to say that I don't watch ANTM, Cathy Horyn writes she couldn't initially identify Tara Banks, who is in the shoot. I found that odd because, even though I'm not a big Tyra fan either, she's such a superstar in her own right.

Unknown said...

That is ridiculous...Sessilee Lopez is an amazing model. I'd buy anything she sells. Since she switched (dropped from?) to Major from IMG, it hasn't been great for her. Put her in your next show Victorya! Will ya :)?

Unknown said...

I remember earlier you posted that it was hard to get ethnic models into your show because of weird casting issues. Now that this Vogue shoot has come up its made me curious to ask what you exactly were talking about?

Victorya Hong said...

Well, now it looks like I'd never be able to afford Sessilee....after this, I would bet my zoave pants that she'll be walking some major shows from here on out. But I do wonder, since Jourdan Dunn, Chanel Iman and Liya Kebede are so established, how much longer will it take to really affefct the market so we make room for another girl of color?

Victorya Hong said...

Robbee, it's not that I experienced any particularly weird casting issues. But I did notice that, proportionately speaking, there were very few girls of color. Where does this all start? With the agencies? With public perceptions of race? And will or when will this all change now that we have the first black presidential nominee on a major party ticket?