Friday, June 27, 2008

Le Retour de Mugler


Since news broke that parent company Clarins is resurrecting the house of Thierry Mugler, I have been counting down the days until Paris couture week, which begins Monday. Since the couturier shuttered his doors in 2003, his very distinct avant garde voice has been widely missed.

Though I have always been a great admirer of his work, still, it may not have been a huge surprise to have learned that Mugler's apparel business bled money. While his hand work and craftsmanship are unquestionable, many of his designs have always been more appropriate for museums, where many of them sit, rather than on the bodies of every day women. Instead, the house was fueled by the millions it garnered in perfume sales.

So what to expect next week? Particularly since the French designer, himself, will not be involved. It's said that Mugler instead will focus on the cosmetics business, which is a little hard to believe. Especially since the perfume line is likely a self sustaining licensed operation. And more especially following rumors (along with awful photos to back up these rumors) that the increasingly incommunicado Mugler has built up a rather unhealthy obsession of, all things, body building, from which he can not tear himself away.

2 comments:

Blogger said...

I always think of Claude Montana when I think of Mugler. Big shoulders, shorter careers than imagined.

I got to shake Montana's hand at a show I covered while a student in DC. I was told to get my pass from the French Embassy. My contact was a Mrs. Garment. (I'll never forget that).

Victorya Hong said...

Now there's a name I haven't heard of in a while....short career, yes, but bright. As long as the shoulder pads lasted.