Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The Season of Old Comers


I can't count the number of comebacks I'm reading about lately. Christian Francis Roth, who won a CFDA Perry Ellis Award way back in 1990 when he was something like 22 years old and hailed as the next wunderkind, is making his return in September after an absence of some 8 years. And the British Brazilian designing duo Clements Ribeiro are also staging a comeback after leaving a lucrative but unimpressive stint designing for Parisian label Cacharel.

Though Roth's return is likely to cause a bigger splash, especially considering the critical success he garnered at such a young age, I'm rooting for Clements Ribeiro. I've always been a big fan of their easy knits, which had just enough interest to make them special. Look at this shot from their 2001 collection, which I could easily see being worn today.

And who blames them for having left their own eponymous label to go design for a huge money-making machine when the euros were beckoning? Even though the work they did at Cacharel wasn't mind-boggling, I guess I still give them some props. It's never as inspiring to design for someone else as it is for yourself, which is why I'm looking forward to what they have to say next.

No comments: