Thursday, May 22, 2008

Waiting for Margaret Cho


Who knew that Margaret Cho was working on her own reality tv series? I didn't actually, until I met one of the show's producers and he spilled the beans. Since then, I've been chomping at the bit for "The Cho Show" to air on VH1, especially since he gave me a preview of what was to come.

Well, I won't go into too much detail, but the episode he did mention had something to do with a G-spot enlargement procedure.

"What's that?," I asked naively. "Most women don't think they even have one."

"Exactly, he responded, "there's an entire procedure that the doctor performs to find it first. And let me tell you, there's a lot of moaning involved."

I've been a big fan of Margaret Cho for years, even though I happened to miss her disastrous first foray into TV Land. (I had a good excuse, though...I was living outside the country at the time.)

But I've always keenly connected to her comic material, for obvious reasons since we share the same cultural background. And no matter how many times I've heard her impression of her mother, it still makes me laugh so hard, tears roll down my eyes every time. Maybe because it sounds uncannily like our mothers could be long lost twins.

I think, though, that one of the reasons why I admire her is that she's taken so much pain and distress and used it as material for her work. Her battle with image driven networks, her subsequent eating disorder, her alcohol use, and of course, cultural identity issues.

Now, I'm pleased as punch that my summer programming is shaping out so nicely. I mean, Kathy Griffin is one of my all time faves and watching her almost always guarantees me a full hour of laughs in the summer. With Cho on the program, I'm sure to have twice the fun. Let the shows begin!

No comments: